The standard form of Medicare coverage, Original Medicare, has two main components: Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.
Medicare Part A provides benefits that cover hospital care services, including:
- Inpatient care delivered in a hospital
- Care in a skilled nursing facility
- Inpatient nursing home care
- Home health care services
- Hospice care
Medicare Part A also covers a lifetime limit of up to 190 days of inpatient mental health care in a psychiatric hospital for each beneficiary.
Medicare Part B Provides benefits that cover medical services, including:
- Medically necessary services
- Preventive services
- Clinical research participation
- Ambulance transportation
- Durable medical equipment purchases
- Mental health care services delivered in inpatient, outpatient, and partial hospitalization settings
Once you sign up for Original Medicare, you will have access to all of these benefits, but ensure that you check with your health care provider before receiving services to confirm that your care will be covered under Medicare.